
That was Saturday late afternoon, let's start from the beginning.
Our big plans to attend the Ivy Tech community garage sale and then the Farmers Market were ruined because of rain and thunderstorms.

I needed my green army jacket to keep me warm.
Have you guys ever seen Freaks & Geeks (best hour long drama/comedy/coming of age television show ever)? It only aired one season, but is an all time favorite. Anyway, the point is I love my green army jacket (Old Navy), because it reminds me of Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), the main character in F&G. The jacket appears in pretty much every single episode of the show and is honored in the song Lady L by Nick Andopolis (Jason Segel), "Is your green army jacket the only thing keeping you warm tonight?" Great TV Moment. My striped v-neck (Urban Outfitters) also reminds me of F&G, so I guess you can say my entire outfit is F&G inspired. Sounds like it is about time to re-watch all of the episodes on DVD, again.Our next adventure took us on a road trip to all three Indianapolis Goodwill Outlet Stores. I read about the outlets online, but never experienced one for myself. They are nuts!

Are you ready for this? At Goodwill Outlet Stores items are sold by the pound! The merchandise has not been pre-sorted and is basically piled into bins, which customers can dig through. The bins are removed from the sales floor and replaced with a completely different selection of merchandise every 2 hours. Here is the pricing breakdown:
Clothing, housewares, books, toys, DVDs and CDs: 69 cents per pound
Glass: 49 cents per pound
Paired shoes: 99 cents per pound
I quickly identifed the regulars because they were aware of bin rotation times and began to line up where the workers wheeled out the fresh merchandise. The first outlet location we visited seemed to have a strict system where you cannot begin grabbing items until all of the new bins are out. I watched everyone examine the piles of miscellaneous clothing, kinda like watching Dave, Barry or Darrel examine a storage locker on Storage Wars, hilarious. Honestly I kept thinking to myself that they could make a reality show about this shopping experience. Once they were given the go-ahead the shoppers went to town on the bins. I was totally intimidated.
This is some serious thrifting and I don't recommend it for everyone! But, if you are A. up for a challenge, B. not claustrophobic, C. aggressive (enough) and D. looking for a super amazing deal then I say check it out. Oh, and bring gloves.
All said and done I bought a few accessories - 2 belts, a scarf, leggings and some other items I cannot mention, because they are gifts for an avid reader... ;). I spent a total of $.81 cents, $.33 cents at one location and $.48 cents at another. Big spender right here!

When we got back to Bloomington the rain had stopped and the sun was shining! We made a quick pit stop at Salvation Army. I didn't find any clothing, but we did find a cool photo location!
Purple Vest: This vest (originally from F21) is another purchase from Goodwill's 50% off sale, which takes place the first Saturday of every month. The regular price was $2.99, but I got it for $1.50!
Wearing my $.25 cent shoes again.

The rest of my evening consisted of hanging out on the balcony, reading and chatting with my family & friends on the phone.
sounds like the BEST DAY EVER!
ReplyDeletethat outlet experience sounds really intense. i would love participate some day. i'll have to see if there are any in the KC area...!
have a lovely night!
sylvia
What what what?!?!? Goodwill outlet whoa!!! That sounds like crazyness on the "running of the brides" scale!! FUN! And good for you spending so little, I might have not been able to resist! We need to be thrifting buddies!
ReplyDeletefreaks and geeks is amazing!... and my so called life?!... and arrested development... okay, we're getting into difference genres and times here, but yes, that jacket totally reminds me of that!
ReplyDeletethat store... whoa! it made me claustrophobic just looking at the bins haha.. and also think of Storage Wars before i even finished reading the sentence hahaha
How DO you keep finding more and more amazing deals??? That goodwill outlet sounds insane!
ReplyDeleteLidi @ Eclectic Flair
FABULOUS!! I love the Goodwill outlet.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
Cleveland Free Press: Goodwill Huntingg Shopping Guides
Blogger Spotlight: Pearls and Personality
My Vintage Handbag Line
I love this kind of vests so so much, I have 3 deferent models so far :)).
ReplyDeleteAs much as I love Goodwill, not sure I am up for diggin in bins. I don't mind searching racks for hours though! Sounds like good deals could be had if you are willing. Love the vest.
ReplyDeletelove that color of the vest!
ReplyDeleteA forewarning to wear gloves puts enough imagery in my mind to keep me from staying away from such a location. Haha. I think I might be more of a vintage vogue kinda girl.
ReplyDeleteNot that I don't love a good deal, and I'm not discouraged by the idea of a hunt, but digging through piles of unwashed clothing is not for me.
I do love that your jacket is fictional character inspired -- I do that all the time!
Chic on the Cheap
We have a Goodwill Outlet here in St.Paul too and my friends and I lovingly nicknamed it "Diggers Delight." And you're right, it would make a great reality show! It's quite the shopping experience.
ReplyDelete@Renee B, where in OH do you live? I would love to thrift together!
ReplyDelete@Renne Kristine, you just named my three fave shows of all time. I've been re-watching MSCL lately for some fashion inspiration. Never thought I'd being doing that...
And yes to everyone else - the Goodwill outlet is insane. :)
I didn't even know about Goodwill Outlet stores until reading your posts about them. It sounds both intense and amazing - good deals!
ReplyDeleteAnd I looove Freaks & Geeks! Have you ever watched Undeclared? It's another one of Judd Apatow's short lived (but excellent) shows.
Since I am a professional, I feel I must hide my secret love of the GW outlets! I get many kudos for my work attire little do they know were purchased at the local GW Outlet! I paid only pennies on the dollar for a whole, over the top, fullest shopping basket of clothes and other stuff like you've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteThanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this information from you.
ReplyDeleteOnline shopping with geek freak