I asked Catherine (best girl) ahead of time if she is opposed to second-hand clothing for her new baby. While I'm totally cool with used clothing I know it is not for everyone and that's cool - I respect that. Luckily she was totally on board, which means I added a whole new level to my thrifting adventures.

Most of the onesies above are from Goodwill. $.99 is the regular marked price, but I waited until they were 50% off. I also got some at the Goodwill Outlet, which means they were priced by weight and around $.10 or less.
Babies grow so fast that they barely get to wear their clothing. That means that a lot of used baby clothes are in great condition or in some cases never even worn. I was very selective when choosing items, careful to check for flaws.

Some of the clothing (like the doggie shirt & dino shorts above) are Goodwill Target donations, so they are brand new! Either way, I washed everything before giving to Catherine.
I made a rule that I wouldn't spend over $1.00 for any one item. There are so many baby clothes at thrift stores that I figured I could find a lot without spending much, so I stuck to my price cap...except for a few things.
I fell in love with this striped outfit below. I broke my rule and spent $1.99. The little shoes were just $.99.

So far I have purchased approximately 30 items and only spent around $17! The key - as usual - is to wait for the items to be marked down (.99 cent Sunday, 50% off Saturday, Color of the Week, etc).
If you or someone you know is expecting a little one, I recommend checking out your local thrift store. You can gather quite a wardrobe in 9 months! Now I just have to wait patiently for the little man to come!
Aww, so adorable and affordable too!
ReplyDeleteLidi @ Eclectic Flair
Thrifting for babies is awesome!
ReplyDeleteIt's not like babies wear things out. I bought a pair of blue lug sole shoes at a garage sale for my 3 year old. They were worn by all three of my children and worn hard. I still have them. Sometimes the best things to get are things that have first been loved by someone else.
ReplyDeleteMy local thrift store has an awesome baby clothes section. I haven't had a need to shop in that section yet, but I will surely take home a big haul as soon as anyone I know has a baby!
ReplyDeleteamazing. i've always thought that my kids will have secondhand goods. i'm far from having babies lol but i'd love to shop for someone else haa!
ReplyDeleteI love finding thrifty Goodwill outfits for my 3 yo. Even my 19 yo daughter doesn't mind thrift clothing. Cha ching!
ReplyDeleteIts so much fun! I trade in my kids outgrown items at baby consignment shops. maybe you could locate a few and start an account for your friend. They have strollers, clothes, car seats, toys, play yards, and all sorts of treasures. Plus yard sale season is coming and that is always a really good place to find baby stuff! My friend and I just had a yard sale and she was selling all of her designer baby girl outfits at super low prices. You never know! Happy baby thrifting!
ReplyDelete