Quirky Cross-Stitch Portraits

I'm in love with these quirky cross-stitch portraits I bought at a garage sale.


I remember seeing them from afar and thinking, "I bet they're overpriced". Luckily I was wrong. The homeowner was moving to Arizona and very eager to get rid of her stuff, which meant most items were dirt cheap (love that). She told me her mother-in-law handmade them. Other than a little dust they were in great condition. I came home, cleaned them up and now I'm quite happy.



The craftsmanship is amazing! I do not cross-stich, but my guess is these portraits took some major time and skill.



Check out the different fabrics and detail. I like how the man's pocket handkerchief overlaps the stitched gold border.

Quirky is probably the best word I can think of to describe these things. I'm not sure if they are actually cool to the general populous, or if I just have a strange fascination. Either way, I'm glad to give them a new home.

6 comments:

  1. those are SO cute, i think i would have had a hard time walking away from them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! 50 cents?? Amazing art and amazing price. lucky you for being there at the right place at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! Those are so super cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, those are so cute! They kind of remind me of Edward Gorey illustrations.

    ReplyDelete