Wise Old Owl Says, "Save Wrinkled Dollars"

I found this little gem at a garage sale a couple weeks ago for $.25.



It is an amber glass "Wise Old Owl" bank. Perfect for saving wrinkled dollars, am I right? The internet tells me that it was made by the Libbey Glass company in the 70's.



The internet also tells me that they typically sell anywhere from $5-$25.



Garage sales are dangerous for me right now, because everything I buy is another thing to pack. I couldn't pass this up though. If you like it there are plenty available online (eBay, Etsy, etc). I saw a clear glass version as well - in case you enjoy looking at your money.

If I get up early enough tomorrow I think I might seek out some garage sales. I've heard that Thursdays and Fridays are great days to go sale-ing. In the past I've mostly gone Saturdays and Sundays since I worked during the week.

Do you guys like/love/hate garage sales?
What do you think is the best day to go sale-ing?
Do you use craigslist to locate sales or do you drive around and see what pops up?
What is your biggest garage sale pet peeve?

4 comments:

  1. That is super cool!!! I love owls:) It's an odd obbession I've picked up a couple of years ago. And awesome deal on it too! A quarter?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute, I love it! And only a .25...

    I love garage sales! Unfortunately, we don't get that many of them over here. We have craigslist, but not a lot of people use it. So it's more of a word of mouth thing.

    My favorite thing to do thou, is always the fleamarket back at my hometown. Everyone knows everyone and they even save things for you that you may like. It's always the small town feel (even though it's a "city") that makes me feel home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father designed this for Libbey in the mid 70's. He was an accomplished fine artist in his own right and also taught at the Toledo Museum of Art. It was designed and made in Toledo, Ohio. I believe that it was also done in a light yellow and a very limited run of red. (My brother had it in red, but that might just have been a test run) I collect my father's designs and I can tell you that a quarter was indeed a great deal. The fact that you called it a gem made me a very happy camper. Please enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased this lil bank full of change. You honestly could not put another coin in it. I found several wheat pennies, one being the steal penny. There was over 25.00 dollars in the bank and I paid........$20.00 for it....... I love owls and there is not a chip on it anywhere.....most glass banks have chips on the inside of the change hole........ I think I got a great deal.....What do you think......It's Brown glass.....<3

    ReplyDelete