used jewelry: stories you can wear.

I'm not consistent with Jewelry. I go through stages. I remember a couple years ago I was really into earrings and I NEVER wore necklaces. Now I rarely wear earrings and I love long necklaces. I haven't worn many bracelets over the years, but now I'm all about them, and watches. Ah, the circle of trend.

It is for that reason, along with the fact that I don't trust myself to take care of expensive jewelry, I enjoy buying or 'acquiring' used jewelry. I say 'acquire', because some are from my mother's/grandmother's/friend's, etc jewelry box. Those are extra special.

I'm attracted to unique pieces, usually something with a bold statement. Estate sales are the best. I have found some pretty cool things. To locate an estate sale in your area, go to craigslist, click on garage sales and search for key word "estate". It is that easy. Or, you can just search key word "jewelry" and see what pops up.

Below are some that I bought or 'acquired' this summer (everything else I have is already in San Fran).



Jewelry can tell a story. Clothing can too, but I feel like jewelry more so. For example, the bracelets in the first photo I bought from my parent's neighbor whose boss bought them for her in Vietnam. Some pieces have a story that you will never know, like the elephant necklace I got at the Disabled Veterans thrift store. Last year I bought a gold locket at Value World with a very old faded photo still inside (not pictured). I love the mystery.

Usually items like those pictured above can be purchased from $.50 - $2. Very cheap for a one of a kind piece.

Do you buy/acquire Jewelry from Thrift Stores / Garage Sales / Estate Sales / your Mother's Jewelry Box, etc? If so, please feel free to share stories in the comments below.

Enjoy the week!

11 comments:

  1. I'm a vintage jewelry fiend, I especially like pieces that had sentimental value for the original owner like lockets and charm bracelets. I have accumulated a lot in the past 4 years just by shopping thrift stores, yard sales and estate sales. You can find estate sales in your area and browse photos using the site http://www.estatesales.net

    You're lucky to have found your pieces so cheaply, I especially like the elephant necklace. I go through phases with jewelry too-- I NEVER wore bracelets but got into them this summer. In college I used to love earrings but now never wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents own a jewelry store that specializes in creating custom pieces. I worked there for a few years while in college and it really taught me to love a piece for more than just because it's sparkly, but because of the craftsmanship and history of it. I like fine jewelry but also love costume pieces and thanks to Goodwill my collection has grown tremendously!
    I recently posted a little DIY for jewelry organization:
    http://irisinspired.blogspot.com/2011/08/thanks-pinterest.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, how cool is that!? I need an old rake! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all of your jewlery finds. I especially like the pink earings and the long brown beaded neckalace....i have seen that neckalace several times now with different outfits but it always seems to go with what you picked out.
    Your blogs have taught me to be more confident in my own clothes. I wear things now because they make me feel good, & because I like how I look in them. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect jewelry from thrift stores too! I love silver and do not like gold jewelry on me..

    I wear my signature ring as an everyday ring, a slightly concave dome shaped silver ring... that found me!

    A larimar pendant found its way to me as well!

    All beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ang!

    Kay - I would love to see a photo of your ring and pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding jewelry at garage sales or thrift stores! In my experience, it is usually the most interesting and certainly has a story behind it.

    My most recent find was a vintage necklace with a blue glass pendant for a mere 10 cents!

    http://kimbercrafts.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/garage-sale-haul-820/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really cool, I love my accessories :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore thrifting jewelery. I think my favorite is the elephant necklace!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. just saw your reply! I'll take some pics of them and send you.

    ReplyDelete