Destroy a Maxi Dress (EBEW)

April 12th = Maxi day at everybody everywear.

Maxi Skirt/Dress | Everybody, Everywear

I thought about not participating, because I really don't have anything maxi length (floor dusting). Well I guess I kinda have one now, yesterday this skirt was actually a dress. Details of the make-it-work moment below...



The longest non-pants item I could think of in my closet was a dress I bought at Goodwill (originally from Target) at the end of last summer. I think I paid 2-3 bucks (50% of Saturday). It probably was not a smart purchase, because I wore it maybe once. I always felt the above the ankle length was awkward and the top was a little too revealing. I took it out of the back of my closet and thought, hmm how can I make this work for EBEW? Out came the scissors.

I hacked off the top of the dress. Here lie the remains. RIP.



Luckily this dress had a band underneath the bust, which now makes for a perfect waist band. The cut job allows me to wear the piece lower on my body, which extends the length.



A maxi-metamorphasis, although I'm not sure we have a butterfly on our hands. I'm not in LOVE, but the skirt is definitely versatile, you can style it three different ways.



I would love to hear what you guys think.

17 comments:

  1. What a great skirt! Love how you can wear it many ways!

    You find the best things! It really has inspired me! Love thrifting!

    AND I am super jealous about goodwill outlets! I want to take a road trip just to go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh i think great! i really like it as a dress, but being able to wear it as a skirt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that my opinion is ANYTHING to go by ever, but while I am kind of "meh" towards the midi, I think the maxi version looks super comfy and easy breezy. And the dress? LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool and versatile! I especially love it worn belted as a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you have done this!! I am searching through my wardrobe now to do the same thing!
    Monique xx

    misszuman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I love the midi look. I have been looking hard at thrift stores for a midi skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks best as a dress, I've done this to several long skirts (worn them belted as a dress). Smart fix for a troublesome dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it! Great job! I actually like all three! I tend to buy long skirts at the goodwill and wear them like this, but I never thought to do it in reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wore your maxi perfectly! :D To bad its gone... :D
    xxx

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

    P.S: I´m giving away a $100 beauty gift card for YSL, Chanel... etc products. Wanna join in on the fun? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so flattering all three ways! great job with the diy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it the best as a midi skirt! i think it's the most flattering (and cute!) look of the three!

    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're my thrifty/DIY hero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're a genius. That is all I have to say....for now.

    http://asktheduplex.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, wear it two to three more times, and it's paid for itself!
    Great refashion, I love it in dress form.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  15. That first look rock, amazing color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your creativity!!! A lot of people chose not to participate in this months EBEW because they didnt own a maxi, but you showed that a little creativity goes a long way. It's awesome that you showed not one but THREE different ways to style one garment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you thought outside the box. I'm going to need to remember you next time EBEW needs a DIYer. Three great looks!
    Thanks for joining us at EBEW!

    ReplyDelete