My Organized Closet (for now)

This weekend I completed Closet Clean-Out 2011. I donated A LOT of clothing and re-organized everything that made the cut. Here is my attempt to show you a photo of my closet. Because of the angle it is basically impossible to get the whole thing in one shot.



Here are some details:




I don't have a dresser so I keep my socks and undergarments in baskets. I also have one of those hanging basket thingies from IKEA (not pictured), which holds bathing suits, bras, tanks, tights, etc. They are pretty handy and only $4.99!

Hanging clothing is organized by heaviness first and then by color (as best as possible). Here's the very basic break down from left to right.

Blazers - Cardigans - Long Sleeve Knits - Long Sleeve Button Downs - Short Sleeve Blouses - Sleeveless Tops



As you can see I am too cheap...I mean frugal...to invest in matching hangers.

My closet has a second bar underneath, but I don't really need it for more clothing, so instead I use it to hang scarves and belts.



My dresses are hung on Joe's side of the closet so they don't get folded from the bottom bar.

That is my organized closet (for now), because I'm moving soon. I have a lot of organization ideas, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel when I will have to do it all over again in a few short months.

OH!

Some of you lovely commenters questioned how I decide which items to donate. Well here is my criteria.

I Donate if:

1. I haven't worn it in a year (excluding dresses).
2. it doesn't fit. I don't believe in holding onto things just incase I loose/gain weight.
3. it looks worn or dingy.
4. I have another item that serves the same purpose.
5. the style/trend is dated and I don't have the patience or space to wait until it comes back.

Out with the old, in with the new.

7 comments:

  1. i seriously love getting rid of old clothes-it makes me realize the good ones that i have! also, thanks for letting us peek into your cloest-i love to see how other people store their clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, you are so inspiring! i'm in the midst of doing these things as well... i miss my big closet. mine now is pitifully small these days.

    good job!!! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like getting rid of old stuff cause it gives me an excuse to get more! Your closet looks so well organized! I have closet envy, cause mine is a danger zone right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! I wish my closet was that big and had all those compartments and double bars!!You did great!

    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the pics of your closet!

    i use similar criteria for donating! (although the fit thing is different for me, being pregnant!)

    have a great week.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. totes just did this. it feels so great to see all the neat little piles, right? so hope it stays nice for a little while at least;)
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing more peaceful the an clean organized closet. Except maybe clean sheets.

    ReplyDelete