While I was in San Francisco I saw this necklace at Banana Republic. It was marked $69.50. I stared at it and thought, "I can totally make that". So, I took a pic with my camera phone (below) to remember how it looked.
I was hoping I could link to the actual piece on the Banana Republic website, but sadly I can't find it.
Jewelry making isn't really my forte, because I don't know how to work with metal, but this necklace only requires braiding. I probably made 349,034,850,948 friendship bracelets between elementary and high school so I've got some mad braiding skills. ;)
Here is the wrinkled dollar version!
Here's a quick summary of how I made it.
I started with some leftover yarn (I always have extras from crochet projects). Make three separate braids. In order to create the tiered look the braids should vary in size, the bottom being the longest and the top the shortest. Then, use a basic knot to join them at each end.
For the next part you will need eye pins, beads and needle nose pliers. The beads should thread top to bottom, not side to side.
I bought the eye pins at Michaels. They were $2.99, but I used a 40% off coupon and got them for $1.79. There are 150 in the pack so I have plenty leftover.
The beads are from Michaels too. They were $2.99 (on sale 50% off) for a strand of 30. I bought two strands.
Ok, all you have to do is thread the eye pin through the bead, stick the pin through a braid loop and then use the pliers to bend the pin so it hooks around the braid. I hooked a bead to every other braid loop.
Is this making sense? I have to take more photos next time.
I eyeballed the number of beads for each braid. The top should have the least and the bottom the most.
I used some ribbon I had laying around to create the closure. I basically just hot glued the ribbon to the knots. Ribbon closures are awesome, because you can adjust the length so easily, which makes the necklace more versatile.
What do you guys think? I'm pretty pumped. If you decide to make one, let me know! I would love to see some photos.
That is gorgeous! I like it way better than the BR version! Make another and do a giveaway???
ReplyDeleteThis is so freaking cool, pretty lady! Love it!
ReplyDeleteI looks great -- I'm planning a crafting party with some friends for the weekend, and I might just whip up one of these for my very own! There's something about this week and DIY, though, because I just posted about DIY sweater embellishing, you're making necklaces, everyone I follow is cooking up something cool instead of spending money at the store. Love it!
ReplyDeleteLove it! It looks great on you and besides saving a serious chunk of change it is always more fun to wear something you made!
ReplyDeleteOh sweet glory I love it.
ReplyDeletesuper cute!
ReplyDeletewow! that is seriously amazing!! great job!!
ReplyDeleteoooo FABULOUS!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com {Promotional Video}
Cleveland Free Press: Goodwill Huntingg Shopping Guides
Blogger Spotlight: Pearls and Personality
My Vintage Handbag Line
I'm in love with it. I like yours tons better than the original.
ReplyDeleteUM. AWESOME. all i have to say!
ReplyDeletecarrie
It looks so pretty on you...specially the short version! I can't believe you spent less then $10 on it when BR is outrageously charging 7 times that!
ReplyDeleteLidi @ Eclectic Flair
I'm going shopping for beads THIS WEEKEND to make something similar. This would be awesome with lots of different types of material and beads. What about a cord braid with colored glass beads? Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeletehttp://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com
Your first DIY? It's so good.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! When I do it, I will let you know!
ReplyDeleteFabulous! :)
ReplyDeleteagentsuperstar-youarehere.blogspot.com
love!
ReplyDeleteI think I like your version way better than the original. What a great project!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a wonderful job! Beautiful
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love! I have some clear glass beads shaped like leaves that I purchased on super-clearance, just waiting for inspiration on what to make with them. Now I know!
ReplyDeleteLove the necklace! It looks SO much better than the BR version.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh i freaking LOVE this! I can't wait to make one! P.s. I think yours is cuter
ReplyDeleteYour necklace turned out so pretty! Thanks for sharing how you made it. Becca :)
ReplyDeleteOk I JUST found your blog through facebook and it is AMAZING! I guess sewing and creativity did NOT make it to my part of the family! I want one!
ReplyDelete(Your cousin, Becky)
really stunning. i absolutely have to try this!!
ReplyDeleteyours is even better - well done!!
ReplyDeleteChic on the Cheap
Awesome! I'm going to have to give this a try sometime soon.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this DIY of yours!!! I am going to try it soon and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing it :)
ReplyDelete